Joomla vs. Wordpress

Guys, ever so slightly off-topic, but I’m looking for some good Module & Component tutorials for Joomla! 1.0.1x

Any takers?

The best information I got from a site and from the book is from this site. There is a new edition coming for 1.5 so this version should still be ok for you ( me too)
Follow the links to explore the site because there is a lot of great free information available about little tweaks you can make and where to make them.

Actually I donot think so. Joomla is one website content management system,however wordpress is just one kind of blog software. So there are some difference between them.such as for joomla,it will have more function for you to build one site with your own ideas. However for wordpress, it is more easy for blogging something. However sometime it will be some difficult for you to build one portal site with wordpress. However for wordpress, it get more SEO friendly tools. and if you can study them,and use these tools with your joomla system, your site also will have good SE result.,

my vote for WP

I’m currently using both joomla and wordpress on my website. There are some experiences that I could share with you.

If you’re doing just blog, then go with wordpress. For some reason, google seems to like wordpress. Sometimes new entries in my blog get picked up by google in as little as 2 hours!

However, if you want to do much more than blog, you might want to seriously consider joomla. I used joomla to build a website for sharing of PHP-GTK2 sample codes. I want to allow users to be able to search by keywords, to browse by widgets, to give ratings, to write comments, etc. Although you can build something similar using wordpress, the resulting user interface will be very very different. And it will be a lot of additional work if you’re using wordpress. Just give it a try. You will be amazed at what joomla can do.

Yes, joomla comes with a blog component too. I could have moved everything into joomla and don’t use wordpress. However, as I’ve mentioned earlier, wordpress does have its advantage with google. Besides, my blog has a PR of 5. That’s why I decide to run the two in parallel.

As pointed out by Forbes, one of the best components to improve SEO on joomla is the component sh404SEF. I’m using it too. It’s really powerful, allowing you to transform any url into SEO friendly url. But it does take some time to get the thing right. If you encounter any problem, post it here, and I can share with you some of the tips and techniques in getting it to work.

If you’re interested to see what a real-life joomla site looks like, you can take a look at the website below. Here are some highlights:

• Notice the different modules appearing in what we called “module positions”. You can turn on and off each module in each page.
  • You can assign selected modules or components to be seen only by registered users.
  • Try viewing some of the sample codes. Did you notice that only registered are able to view the entire sample code. Try doing this in wordpress…

Regards,
/kksou

Wordpress is easy to use plus with great deep linking features along higher keyword density, title relevancy more important it loads much faster than Joomla! last but not least it is easier to customize

Joomla1.5 is definitely the way to go for Joomla.

As far as SEO, Joomla1.0 was not on par with Wordpress. If you just had a simple blog, use Wordpress. There are no good extensions for pinging, trackbacks, etc. in Joomla. RSS publishing was not implemented very well. Titles are not formatted with H1, H2, H3 etc. So these need to be hacked in the Joomla1.0 core. Meta description and tags have to be hacked also, there is only 1 description and appended metatags. You need an extension to convert the meta description and tags to suit each page. We had to develop custom extensions for this. Joomla1.0 also suffered from having the SEF urls in the Joomla core. This made SEF extensions bloated, and hacky. Importantly, none of the SEF extensions could handle sites with high traffic, or sites with lots of pages. A site with 20, 000 pages would lag or die with any of the URL rewriting components. This also affects Seach Engine crawls of the site. In other words, with Joomla1.0 you have to go to great lengths to make it perform as well as Wordpress out of the box for SEO on blog sites.

With Joomla1.5 this has changed quite a lot. The URL rewriting has been moved out of the core into plugins, so expect much better URLs generated by Joomla for SEO. Even the default SEF URLs built into Joomla1.5 works very well. Quite important is that the cache has also moved to extensions, so scaling Joomla1.5 is easier, as you can have whole page caches, if you’re worried about load times. (Joomla1.5 also removed some default HTTP headers that Joomla1.0 used to use, that made each page reload from the server, bypassing HTTP cache, this made Joomla1.0 load pages slower and put more stress on servers).
The templating for Joomla has improved, with more xHTML templates being developed, with better H1, H2, and list, structuring. However, the content component still has a lack of H1, H2 structure. This can be solved using view overrides (http://docs.joomla.org/Understanding_Output_Overrides).
Meta Keywords and Description still need an extension to be custom per page. The addition of more event hooks in the plugins API, also gives the ability to get better SEO out of Joomla1.5.

So with Joomla1.5 you can get it to function on the same level as Wordpress2.x as far as SEO goes though it does involve a bit more customization. Wordpress will start to take on more development time if you go into a more complex website.

i had to chime back in from many months… I dumped Joomla because it was getting too complicated with new mods/plugins. Some of them can really mess up your site in terms of your link URL structure… just letting you guys know and warn you! I am sticking to wordpress. CMS is not for me right now. Wordpress you can even use for a site outside of blogging.

I never really liked Joomla it is bulky and cluttered, for CMS I think Drupal is much better.

WordPress is the king of blogs and so simple to use the url are easy to change, the only problems I have had are if you don’t use a number in front of your urls (date,time,ect) you can have navigation problems on some hosts.

joomla is not so good, i do not like the url it generated.

I hve never tried Joomla… Bt hve heard dat it takes a lot of time to load… I use wordpress only… i just love it n its easy …also

i hate joomla , wordpress is the best cms !

For me wordpress is the best for blog as well as cms.

I think ,for a blog no substitute for WordPress .Joomla is good only for big sites as a CMS.However WordPress can be used as a CMS which is easier than Joomla.

I use both wordpress and joomla. I love joomla, have had no known issues, and Google seems to like it (although it has taken a little while).

If you just want to blog, then go with wordpress. If you are going for a full site, then joomla is much better. Joomla has a steeper learning curve for sure, but it has all the same SEO friendliness that wordpress does once you figure it out.

Both have their own speciality. But wordpress have more functions and easier to be indexed by search engine.

I think Drupal is a better option than Joomla as cms and more seo friendly. It is however more difficult to install and setup as I am finding at the moment.

Noel

I agree, WP is better for blogs (for ease of use) and also for SEO (owing to the wide extension library catering specifically to SEO). But Drupal is the best CMS for SEO, hands down.

Wordpress all the way.

Comparing Joomla and WP is like comparing apples and oranges. Each is best for a different purporse.