June Photo Challenge - Reflections, Light and Shadow

Off Topic:

Looks like an amazing area you live in, Lesley. Each time you post a picture I feel I want to go there.

can i submit my photos of the transit of venus?

no actual reflections per se but definitely imbued with light and shadow, as venus crosses in front of the brightest light in our immediate neighbourhood, and casts its shadow upon us here on earth,

I can merge the other thread, but I do really like that it’s featured and has had good response. Besides, there’s no prize here. Just a thread to see what our photographer members can come up with. Here’s the link for those of you who haven’t seen it.: r937’s Transit of Venus

[ot]

It is. We’re very aware of just how fortunate we are to live here. :slight_smile:

Perhaps I should be on commission from the local tourist board. :smiley:[/ot]

I was looking for something else when I happened upon these photos my husband took, and I decided they ought to be shared. (He’s quite happy with that. :))

Your husband has a good eye for photography. Both are well composed. Great work!

There are no reflections here but just light and shadow. I took these with my mobile while I was going to work… and the first one when I was waiting for the bus back to my home.

Actually, most of his pictures are rubbish. :smiley: He’s an artist and he takes photos for reference - to remind himself of the relative sizes or positions of objects, for example. He doesn’t care about composition, because he can straighten wonky horizons, remove stray telegraph poles, change the perspective or whatever when he paints the picture. I can’t paint, so I have to try and get it just right in the photo. But occasionally, like here, he does take a really good photo.

Took this one morning on the way to work, riding on my bike on the ‘taff trail’, although I did stop to snap the shot as I used my phone and the popular Instagram app :wink:

That is a GREAT photo! Normally, the advice is to NOT split the frame evenly (“the rule of thirds” and all) but in this case I think that is what makes the image captivating.

I agree. And although it isn’t 1/3-2/3, it isn’t 50-50 either. It seems like that, because of the reflection, but it isn’t. Beautiful shot.

Now that’s a great picture! Good that you stopped to take it and even better that you posted it here. I love it!

BTW, it is good to see you around Andy. Hope life is treating you well.

Sure have missed you Andy. It’s great to see you back with such an excellent photo and I hope you’ll hang out with us more often. :tup:

Great photos this June. :slight_smile:

Here’s mine.

The Great Bush in the Sky

The Great Bush in the Sky - The Other Side

@itmitică

Love the first one. You did a great job of capturing the sunlight in the clouds. They don’t look like bushes to me, though. They look like huge gobs of fluffy whipped cream! :slight_smile:

Thanks Linda. :slight_smile:

I was going for a “bush on the land, bush on the sky” mirror composition. But hey…!

Sweet… dreams! :slight_smile:

The Ink Sky

[FONT=Verdana]I agree - that’s exactly what they look like. And I love the way the light is catching them.

I can’t compete with akritic’s beautiful still-water reflection, but I have a couple of shots with interesting reflections in turbulent water. I like the way the refections are distorted and elongated by the water.

[/FONT]

Yeah, looks like beautiful holidays… I love any reflection of them. :slight_smile:

here’s few from the island I live on:

Storvatnet or “big lake” as it would translate to in english.

another lake in the autumn

Bergsfjorden, is a fjord on the northwest side of the island.

The midnight sun at 01:15 AM, yesterday.

midnight sun seen from the highest peak on the island.

the transit of Venus, june 6.
As I didn’t have any filter to capture this properly I had to go in the garage and take the glass out of my welding helmet. this was taken through it, with a panasonic camcorder at 40x, as my dslr camera didnt handle the filter :lol:

Beautiful shots Banana man! Where have you been? Hope to see more from you in the days to come!

I grew up in a town whose people were mostly of Norwegian heritage. My step dad was Norwegian (both of his parents were immigrants) and I always wondered what a Fjord really looked like. Your photo is gorgeous. I also always wondered what was meant by the “midnight sun”. Incredible!