Need help adding Video to website

[ot]

Neither did I - it’s widely used in the UK.[/ot]

Off Topic:

What’s going on here :confused2

10 out of the last 11 posts are Off-topic :slight_smile:

oh btw - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE :weee: :drink::juggle: :nanaman::Partier::Partydude::magic::tup:

So you (and others) are averse to watching advertising, but you don’t mind reading it?! :wink: :lol:

Explain that one to me…

You make it sound like if it is a video testimonial then it must a snake-oil salesman, but if you read copy then it is “fair and balanced”?

Personally, I liked all of the videos I posted in Post #6. (I spent a fair amount of time lloking for ads that didn’t look “home-made” and that didn’t sound like “pitches” on late-night TV. They all seemed “genuine” to me.

Would I want to follow up - after watching those videos - with reading more on what they were promoting/selling? Sure! But do I think they were “snake-oil salesmen”? No.

I figured that genuine videos or audio that was designed to educate the consumer and show that there is a problem that needs to be solved would make good business sense.

Everyone is different?!

Debbie

I’m slightly confused…

How can one conclude from “I don’t like video testimonials” this:

[COLOR=#000000]I can’t explain because I never made the statements you concluded from my post. I simply don’t like testimonials, be it in audio, video or text format. I didn’t address text because you were specifically asking about video.

[/COLOR]

Earlier you said…

Quality-wise the videos are good, but they’re neither interesting nor compelling.

It looks like an ad, feels like an ad, and it is an ad. And ads very rarely are persuasive or convincing to me, minus one or two exceptions, perhaps.

And my point was that you don’t like video ads but it appears that if you read an ad it is okay.

If I was the University of Kansas, and I wanted you to enroll, what is the difference - to you - if I video tape several students telling you what they like about the school versus if I did the same thing in a write up?

If you are suspicious of video testimonials, then logically you would be equally suspicious of textual ads as well. Right?

It is all advertising! Just different mediums.

To me, however, an audio or video of a real human being makes advertising easier to discern from a write up because of all the non-verbals you can pick up from the “human dimension”.

I’m not telling you how to feel, but I just don’t see why you don’t mind reading advertising, but watching a video which is basically advertising doesn’t appeal to you?!

Debbie

I mentioned above that I’d rather watch a video than read text, but Stevie said that he would rather read text. But we were probably more talking about reading/viewing information about a product rather than testimonials. Testimonials are not really the same as product information. I’ve seen clients who have faked testimonials … and all TV ads are essentially fake testimonials to get you to buy … so all this stuff has a bad name (at least to me). As a former teacher, I was always appalled at the information in each School’s glossy prospectus (telling parents all about the lofty values of the school etc.). At no place I ever taught/visited did the staff either know about or take any notice of all that glossy fluff. It amazes me that anyone takes any of this sort of thing seriously now. I mean … am I really supposed to think well of a product because some sexy smiling actor in a TV ad tells me how good a product/service is? Everyone surely knows that, in reality, the service will be lousy, the product will have problems, I’ll have to wait on the phone for hours if I have a complaint …

Yep, agree 100% :agree:

I would think that only a very small number of gullible, for whatever reason, people would place any credibility on unverifiable testimonials of any kind.

Imo, if a testimonial is not verifiable then it’s probably a lie. Hence the overall poor reputation of testimonials of any type.

So we agree that everyone has different tastes.

But we were probably more talking about reading/viewing information about a product rather than testimonials. Testimonials are not really the same as product information. I’ve seen clients who have faked testimonials … and all TV ads are essentially fake testimonials to get you to buy … so all this stuff has a bad name (at least to me).

So maybe I am to blame for using the term “testimonial” in the first place?! (I think I’m the one who started this?!) :cool:

I think what I am trying to do in NOT what turns you (and others) off so much…

As a former teacher, I was always appalled at the information in each School’s glossy prospectus (telling parents all about the lofty values of the school etc.). At no place I ever taught/visited did the staff either know about or take any notice of all that glossy fluff. It amazes me that anyone takes any of this sort of thing seriously now. I mean … am I really supposed to think well of a product because some sexy smiling actor in a TV ad tells me how good a product/service is? Everyone surely knows that, in reality, the service will be lousy, the product will have problems, I’ll have to wait on the phone for hours if I have a complaint …

WHOA horsey!!! :lol:

(I swear I am neither running for elected office, nor am I selling crap on late night infomercials!!!)

rewind

Let me try to do a better job of explaining some ideas that I have without giving away my specific business secrets…

Pretend for a moment that I am in construction…

In the U.S., probably 95% of houses are built out of wood with a subset having brick exteriors. And lets say that I build houses exclusively using metal framing - similar to how commercial buildings are built.

I want to SELL you and everyone else on choosing ME to build your dream home. But #1, you don’t know me. #2, you just assume a wood-framed home is the way to go. #3, like most people, you are averse to change.

So, being the great entrepreneur that I am - or hope to be - I put together some VIDEOS for my website.

In these videos, I have a couple of objectives/themes…

1.) I want to EDUCATE people on why metal-framed residential homes are better
For instance, metal-framed homes are:

• stronger (duh!)
  • safer (think fire)
  • easier to construct (let’s assume)
  • similarly priced (surprising?!)
    and so on…

2.) I want SHOW how you build a metal-framed house

• How are things put together? (Are you gonna be welding all day?)
  • What kind of metal is used?
  • What happens if I want to change the layout? (Can you move the metal?)
  • What do the walls look like exposed?
  • What does a finished house look like?
  • Will we even notice a difference?!

3.) I want CONVEY what others are saying.
This part is probably the most “advertsey”, but it is no different than if you drove over to the Jones, asked them if they liked their metal-framed house, and it turns out I paid them $1,000 to give you a “snow job”?! (People can lie in any format…)

But it also lets Non-Customers, Potential Customers, and Existing Customers voice their thoughts, experiences, reservations, concerns, good experiences, bad experiences, competing experiences, and opinions in THEIR OWN WORDS…

And I think viewers can tell the difference between some model bimbo saying, “I quit my job, and after spending only $500 on the ‘How to start your own Alpaca Ranch in any large, urban area’ I was able to start making over $50,000 per week without leaving bed?!” and maybe watching some local couple who talk about the pros and cons of a wood-framed house versus a metal-framed house, and why they ultimately chose me.

4.) There is also the ability to get TESTIMONIALS - that ugly word - where people can talk about their experiences in their own words.

Maybe I could have a couple who’s house survived a fire or tornado talk about how my metal-framed design helped save their home??

Or interview a local Fire Marshall and get his take on wood vs. metal?

Or maybe interview one of the carpenters who does the actual work, and let him describe why he likes working with metal better?

Is all of this “advertising” in some way, shape, or form? YES!!!

But it may be more effective than tomes and tomes of boring text…

It is just another avenue to 1.) Establish which Problems exist, 2.) Educate Consumers on the Issues, 3.) Offer a Solution to the Problem, and 4.) Develop Trust as to why You are the Best Choice. (easier to do when people can hear or see a real human being…

That is what I am hoping to do…

(And, no, I do not build metal-framed house!!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Debbie

The only form of ads I like are products, meaning, your portfolio works. I NEVER said I liked reading advertising. I haven’t a clue why you think that because I neither implied nor suggested any such thing. But most people on here (developers) won’t like ads very much, regardless of the shape or form. That does not mean other audiences won’t like it. I am sure there’s a market for video ads, just like there’s a market for text ads.

So, like someone else suggested earlier on, there’s nothing wrong with giving it a try.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were thinking.

Debbie

Because you paid them? Gave them a discount? (Why else would they bother?) [Just playing Devil’s advocate here.]

Rather than waste time on what people think, make a video based around all that info you listed above. Demonstrate through facts (with research to back it up) why one construction method is better than another. That would move me, but not some drones in ugg boots telling me how good it made them feel. :slight_smile:

If I had any Customers be in a video, I WOULD NOT PAY THEM A DIME because doing so would be be a “kickback” and unethical.

Rather than waste time on what people think, make a video based around all that info you listed above. Demonstrate through facts (with research to back it up) why one construction method is better than another. That would move me, but not some drones in ugg boots telling me how good it made them feel. :slight_smile:

So you wouldn’t include experts (e.g. Fire Marshal, Safety Expert, Engineer) and have them discuss some of things I described above?

Or you just don’t like people who wear Uggs?? :wink:

And you would include interviews with strangers asking their opinions on wood vs metal-framed houses?

Or interviews seeing how much people actually know about the topic?

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I worked for a multimedia company that did many Ads and Training for Sears and Chrysler. From this work I have several observations that may help you:

• Anything that is difficult to succinctly describe in text like the ‘features of some thing (if many and/or complex)’, a synergy by combining several products or services for a more powerful result, or things that are just better to be shown as video are good to be done as video. Generally the production quality of the Video has to be good and the script, and motion must not be stagnate.
  • Podcasts about a service or product are useful thing if they also can be downloaded, connected to as a stream, or listened to on a web-site. A pod-cast needs a content or subject matter expert(s) and reasonible quality. Frequency is also important as many of the people that look for pod-casts also expect a regular pod-cast time.
  • Not that you were suggesting it, but a combination of Text, Graphics, Video and Audio should be used to reinforce the same idea, product or service, this gives the opportunity for those people that better respond to auditory. visual mediums, and text, will find the medium that works best for them.
  • From the “blind” testing that Sears did, they determined that people will commonly not report watching a video or audio and not reading text as they may be perceived as being lazy. In 2012, I am not sure if this same result would exist but people do tend to be people :slight_smile:
  • For Chrysler Training we ran controlled tests to determine if a group of trainees would do better with just Video, just Audio, just text and graphics or each of these; in the end it was determined that when all media’s were combined there was a 17% increase in learning retention accoss the tested groups. While the tests were not exactly scientific, they were enough to have Chrysler include all formats within their training.

On a side note, Ubuntu Studio as their site describes

[LEFT][FONT=arial]Ubuntu Studio is aimed at the GNU/Linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional.

We provide a suite of the best open-source applications available for multimedia creation. Completely free to use, modify and redistribute. Your only limitation is your imagination.

[/FONT][/LEFT]
It does have a bit of a learning curve, but by judging on your posts here at sitepoint you seem to have an unsatiable apetite for knowledge so it may be up you alley, and hey it is free; with a little investing in some hardware you can produce good quality audio and perhaps video (if scripted and shot/ post produced in an appealing manner).

Hope this helps,
Steve

Wonderful post, ServerStorm. :tup:

Thank you :slight_smile:

ServerStorm,

Wow, someone who is not anti-video!! :lol:

Thanks for the detailed thoughts!!

Funny, because a lot of what you said is stuff I already know and the angle I was trying to take before I hit severe “headwinds” on this topic…

Awww… a flatterer!! :loveblush:

and hey it is free; with a little investing in some hardware you can produce good quality audio and perhaps video (if scripted and shot/ post produced in an appealing manner).

Hope this helps,
Steve

I always like checking out open-source stuff, although, this is one topic where I may bow to the proprietary world and check out what Apple has to offer in 2012.

Thanks!

Debbie

Is that how you read this thread? O dear. I love video, as I said, but for the right reasons (which were nicely summarized by ServerSotrm, such as helping to clarify and reinforce information that’s not so easy to grasp or absorb in text alone).

The main thing I have taken away is that Testimonials suck and that video is a very lowly ranked choice if it has anything to do with selling…

I think people’s opinions are very slanted one way, which is fine, I guess.

I was expecting tons of, “Good decision!”, “Good ideas!”, “Way to make your website more interesting (and believable) to Customers”, and so on.

Regardless of what has been said so far, or how I took it, doesn’t change my strong desire to take my business and my message to new dimensions using audio and video. (Of course I’ll have to work on ways to make it “verifiable” so that it is “believable” to some…) :wink:

Debbie

No, again not what I was saying. I like videos on sites that tell me about their product–but by showing me how it works, rather than just having people I don’t know telling me how good it is. I want to see the product for myself, get to know how it works etc. Video is great for that, and is a great way to sell a product to me.

Same here, but I don’t seem to be able to get that across either.