New member wants to say hello and need newsletter help :)

Hi,

I have just joined your forum, and I am beginner web designer. Just finished my first website using HTML and CSS and hosted it on godday.

I was wondering How I can set up a mailing list on my website to keep my visitors updated with latest news when they join this mailing list. I was told that I have to make a database ?

I need a jump start here, I have no idea where to start from :slight_smile:

Hi bennakhi . Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

A better way to go is to sign up with a service like CampaignMonitor or MailChimp (the latter offering a free account). These services are great for doing this sort of thing, and there’s really no point in reinventing the wheel. :slight_smile:

thanks for your help. My website is a students club website, I want the members to be able to register in the club and save their information in a database, and from this database I send them newsletters.

Yep, that’s exactly what those services I mentioned will allow you to do. You put a simple form on your site (and/or in emails etc.), through which people sign up. (Or you can manually sign them up yourself if they are writing emails down for you in your club meetings or woteva.) All of their details are recorded for you, so that you can manage your list, send out emails etc. You can also track who has opened the emails, how many times, what links they clicked on etc. It’s great.

I will give it a try thanks

I’ve tired and it works perfectly. I have another question, I am building an image gallery for the club, and currently I am using godday embedded image gallery in my website, is there any thing better than godday gallery because I don’t like it.

Yes, there are lots of nice options, from single image galleries that fade from one image to another, to thumbnail galleries, to popup galleries, to sliders etc. You can google ‘jquery image gallery’ to find hundreds of examples, or say a bit more about what you want and we can suggest a few.

I just need a simple galley that is easy to deal with, I only going to create album for the club events and let the members browse those images on the club’s website.

and free

They are all free, but like I said, specify how you want it to look/work, or just do some googling and see what’s available. They are all very different, so I can’t suggest anything without know what you have in mind.

I want a thumbnails style that get larger when you click on them

For that I would recommend something like slimbox: http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox2