Php/mysql search feature showing all items

I have a search area on my site and when I put in a search keyword, the results.php page has every item on it. I have searched and searched and I cannot figure out why it is doing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

search form

<form id="search-form123" action="results.php" method="POST">
     <div class="offlajn-ajax-search-inner">
          <input type="text" name="keyword" id="search-area123" value="" autocomplete="off" placeholder="Search Here...">
          <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Search" id="search-area123">
          <input type="hidden" name="Submit" value="com_search">
 </form>

results.php (at the top)

<?php 
include_once('mysql_connect.php');

if (!isset($_POST['search'])) 
$keyword = $_POST['search'];
$search_sql="SELECT * FROM new_equip WHERE itemname LIKE  '%" .$keyword. "%'";
$search_query=mysql_query($search_sql);
if(mysql_num_rows($search_query)!=0)  {
$search_rs=mysql_fetch_assoc($search_query);
}

$eid = $row['id'];
$itemname = $row['itemname'];
$model = $row['model'];
$manufactuer = $row['manufactuer'];
$desc = $row['desc'];
$imagename = $row['image'];

?>

where results are displayed

<?php if (mysql_num_rows($search_query)!=0){ do {?>
     <p><a href="new-product.php?Item=<?php echo $search_rs['id']; ?>"><?php echo $search_rs ['itemname']?></a></p>
<?php } while ($search_rs=mysql_fetch_assoc($search_query)) ;
    	    } else { echo "No Results Found";
   } ?>

Your script is wide open to SQL Injection attack as it allows user-submitted data near the database without having first being sanitized/validated and escaped.

Also you need to be aware that the mysql_* extension was deprecated as of version 5.5 of PHP and is being removed from version 7 (the next version). You should be now using either the mysqli_* extension or PDO and in either case you should be making use of prepared statements whenever you’re dealing with user submitted data

Appreciate the info. I am learning mysqli now so that I can switch my entire site over. Is there anyway you can point me to where I can learn how to fix this?

I was able to figure it out using mysqli. Took a lot of trial and error but it paid off.

Mysql comments aside, and noting that you’ve already fixed it, surely this line

if (!isset($_POST['search']))
$keyword = $_POST['search'];

should read

if (isset($_POST['search']))
$keyword = $_POST['keyword'];

as that’s how you’ve named the text box in your input form. But, you’re surely missing an open-brace to make the entire query section conditional on the $POST contents?

Also having multiple page elements with the same CSS id may well be asking for trouble, ids should be unique on the page.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.