Php Sql Schedule

I’m starting a new project for a company I work for not sure if they will end up using it or not. I am not a programmer but am working on learning it. I have been asked to make a php/sql schedule for the rink to display all the events for the day. So far I have my database set up with the following columns: date, event, event_title, start_time, end_time, team_one, team_one_lr, team_two, team_two_lr. All of the datatypes are set at varchar since I am not to familiar with all the other types.

The problem I am trying to solve atm is when adding events to the schedule how do I check to make sure the times do not conflict? Its not a huge issue but I would like a warning to pop up if someone try’s to add a event that conflicts with something already in the DB.

Another issue I am trying to solve is when displaying the events for the day I want the event’s that have all ready taken place to no longer be displayed. Ex. If a game ends at 10:00 at 10:10 I want the event to be taken off. I think I know how to get the page to refresh every time minutes using this

header("Refresh: 600; url='\\condition\\index.php'");

You would accomplish what you want using SQL queries, not in PHP.

There are different ways you could do what you want to do. For example, you could run a query to see if there is an existing reservation and if so, output a notice indicating a message indicating such.

If you want to make sure old events are not showing, you would run a query selecting the upcoming events for today where the time of the event is greater than the current time.

You should also put a unique ID field in your table, unless the event serves as the unique ID.

When considering any kind of calendaring system you must appreciate that Mysql DATE and TIME fields offer far superior possibilities when you can see you will be querying for dates/times.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/date-and-time-functions.html