Programming for an iPad

You didn’t understand me…

When I said X and Y I was talking about a table/grid with an “X” and a “Y” dimension.

I never said entering in coordinates, just that this client would look across the top row (“X”) and find something (e.g. # of Dents) and then look down the left column (“Y”) and find something (e.g. Size of Dent) and click on the appropriate button in the table.

So I just need to learn HTML5 and JavaScript and I could fairly easily build a Touch-Screen Estimation program using purely a “responsive” website, right?

What I was saying is that I can’t use JavaScript to process a “Touch” on my MacBook Pro, because it presumably doesn’t have sensors in it to recognize a “touch”, right?

There is no “touch” event in Javascript. There is only “click”. And click can be performed by many ways depending on device. On MacBook you point with mouse and click. On iPad you tap with finger. But both of these actions are equal for Javascript code. You just listen when user “clicks”.

That’s what it narrows down to, yes. How “easily” it is will depend on your learning, of course.

You’re not hearing me…

What technology is needed to recognize a touch motion on a screen??

Can your grandmother’s TV from 1970 process a “touch”??

If not, then why not?

In addition to asking how to do this programmatically, I also asked how the hardware works to make touch screens work.

Thanks.

If I can program tens of thousands of lines of code in PHP, I assume I can survive JavaScript…

So, Steve, if I came to you with this requirement, how long would it take YOU to build…

Build a touch-screen web application that...
- Displays 20 buttons, each with a unique cost
- Allows multiple buttons to be touched
- Keeps a running total of all buttons touched
- Writes the entries into MySQL
- After "Submit" is touched, creates a Work-Order Total and displays it on the screen and stores it in the database.

I’m not a JS expert, so I wouldn’t attempt this.

We still have an old TV from the 70s. When it isn’t working properly, a slap or two on the sides fixes it. So yes, “touch” does work on these devices.

5 Likes

HAH!!

You’re lucky. I have to slap the side and fiddle with the rabbit ears.

2 Likes

If you know JavaScript as well, PhoneGap (on top of HTML,CSS, and JavaScript) should do.

Just make a web page.
Use HTML to create the elements
Use CSS to style the page (making it responsive, for example)
Use JS to deal with the button clicks and calculate a running total
Use Ajax to submit the values to a PHP backend where you can write them to a DB.

In JavaScript you can handle touch events thus (assumes jQuery):

$(selector).on('click touchstart',function(){
  //your code
});

@James_Hibbard,

So how long would it take you to build such a program? (It doesn’t sound too bad to me…)

BTW, what would you call such a program?

When I hear “app”, I think of “application compiled for a mobile device”. Would this be a “website”? Or could it be considered a “web app” - whatever that is…

Not very long. From what you’ve described maybe a day or two.

Web app.

Yeah, “web app” is what they get called these days, but it’s really just a fancy name for a website. :stuck_out_tongue:

True but websites have progressed quite a bit since 1989 :slight_smile:

http://line-mode.cern.ch/www/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

Try typing, the keyboard effect is quite good :smile:

1 Like

Wow, they sure have. That link you posted is super cool! So advanced!

The link supplied was “Browse the first website using the line-mode browser simulator”.

Further details of the very first web-page and site:

http://info.cern.ch/

Edit:
Interesting to note the validation was quite good.

1 Like