Search a cms for a gaming site

Hello friends. We actuall search a cms for a upcoming gaming site.

Needed: Review, Download, commenting & maybe a cheat category.
We dont search anything with Clan gaming stuff.

We prefer free things like the most, but if we/u found a good one, it can cost ~50-100$.

We looked at Wordpress and Ghost but Wordpress is hard to check all the plugins (but have many templates) and Ghost didnt have Gaming templates. We dont can code or design anything. We looked at many old cms´ses too, which were wonderful but offline or absolutly outdated (sec holes).
Last days we try it with a message board but that wasnt completly what we want.

If my english was to crappy, please dont be to harsh, its not our foregin language. :smile:

Thanks for any idea!

I’d say WordPress is actually your best bet. What do you mean “is hard to check all the plugins”? It’s hard to find the plugins you need?

What kind of commenting do you need? You can try looking into https://wordpress.org/plugins/disqus-comment-system/ (despite the so-so rating, it’s actually one of the better ones from both an admin and user perspective)

The thing with WordPress is that so many people use it that you’ll be able to get help along the way much easier.

Thanks for your answer.

Also, when you install a plugin for this and that, you must check it everyday for exploits and such things. if the dev stop his work, its your problem too.

wordpress use the whole world and its hackers and spammers best friend.

When we use disquss we give the datas of our users to america, because disquss isnt a company here. Latly there are many of the “special for gaming sites” cms´ses so we hoped there are some out there from this decade.

we looked at typo3 late night, but its for big companys who havent money for a cms which they need. and too big.

Drupal would work well for something like this. However, it can be a steep learning curve. Though Drupal does cater to building sites without much programming knowledge once you get the hang of everything.

Wordpress is a blog so I wouldn’t recommend using it and besides it is a mess. The only people who use Wordpress are those who have been using it for so long that they have blinders to all it’s inherit problems. Either that or they are simply to close minded to learn something new.

I think ur right. I will look at drupal next days. Best point for wordpress are actually just, that they are to most - nearly every - theme for gaming for it.
For me it isnt a problem to learn new things if it will fit my req. So I will give it a chance. Thanks!

You have two choices:

1. Spend time to save money
  2. Spend money to save time

You can’t have it fast, cheap, and good.

Wordpress will be good and cheap, but not fast if you’re familiar with it. There’s plenty of great plugins that’ll get you what you need and enough off-the-shelf themes you can use, that are free, combined with some simple branding you can create (or buy on Fiver), to give you your own look. It’ll certainly support your requirements.

If you just want to good and fast, spend a little money and maybe look at something like SquareSpace. It’s a handful of dollars a month for the basics and you can get going quickly.

If you want to learn Drupal, check out Drupal Gardens. Drupal is great, but if you’re not familiar with it, it’s probably not best to get to know it when you’re trying to knock something out on the cheap and quickly with little time to put towards it.

Most importantly, just get going with something. Aim for the simplest possible thing you need and add to it as necessary; don’t get lost trying to build “everything” you could possibly need and then never end up launching.

You don’t necessarily have to use just one CMS, you could use say a forum software, a wiki software and a blog software (not necessarily Wordpress, there’s probably alternative blogging software out there) and “bridge” them so that at least logging into one logs you into the rest

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.