SQL Server only allows 1 TIMESTAMP column per table

Hallo – due to some fairly horrendous sins in a previous life (I can only imagine genocide or something similarly grave), I am having to use SQL Server 2000 as the db for my web app.
When I’ve tried to create both created_on and updated_on columns in a table, I have been informed that I am only allowed one timestamp per table.
Has anyone else come up against this & managed to find a workaround?
Please believe me when I say that if switching to postgres or mysql was an option, I would have taken it already!
I hate M$.
Cheers for any & all help,
doug.

Edit:

this thread has nothing to do with Ruby so I’m moving it.

Why don’t you use a datetime datatype for one of those fields?

I also don’t see what’s so horrible about SQL Server; I prefer using it to most other database systems. Using M$ is also a surefire way to sound smart :wink:

who told you this? sql server doesn’t have timestamp data types, just DATETIME

I believe this post is related to the SQL Server driver for RubyOnRails, so perhaps is best in the Ruby forum after all.

Yes, I perhaps should have put a little more detail in – I am specifically creating created_on and updated_on attributes in Ruby ActiveRecord objects – I was hoping this was kind of explicit in the context of the Ruby forum.
Will be using a DATETIME now & I’ll let people know how I get on.
BTW – the M$ thing would be a flaming issue for another place, and as it’s me that raised it here, I’ll retract & apologise!
Cheers,
doug.

DATETIME seems to be working great, cheers – there does appear to be a TIMESTAMP datatype, but it isn’t what anyone coming over from standardised SQL might think it is.
Thanks again,
doug.