Stolen content- Am I legally protected?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know the action i can take if i come across my website content on another webpage. i have come across information on my website that has been quickly reformatted or copy-pasted and displayed on another site. Is there anything i can do to hold these people accountable?

Visit http://www.dmca.com/ They will be able to help you. You will have to pay a monthly fee. But, if you don’t want to pay, then you can take advantage of their 1 Free Takedown per year. You will have to put their badge on your website. Once someone steals your content, you will be able to report it to DMCA.

No. No. No. That site is a commercial service which charges a high fee for something you can easily do yourself.

Issuing a DMCA notice is not appropriate in all circumstances. But if you do consider it appropriate, you can do it yourself without paying anyone a fee or committing yourself to anything.

DMCA apart, there are several steps you can take to get the offending content removed (and discourage the infringers from doing it again). We have discussed this many times in the forum, so your first step should be to do a forum search for the relevant information. You’ll also find a lot of information on the web.

I’ll also point you to this article, which I think you’ll find useful. (Full disclosure: I help edit the site on which that article appears.)

Mike

Your article talks about DMCA as well.

Contacting the web hosting company of the person who has stolen your content will not ‘always’ be useful.

My entire website was once copied. I contacted the web hosting company of the ‘thief’ and the hosting company told me to contact DMCA.

Use Copyscap DOT com to protect your content.

Siteliner DOT com is also help you to check and protect your content

both are paid software’s you need to paste their code on to your website, If any one is coped your content then they will notifies you…

Hi,

The small tip that I ca tell you is, the first place (first site) that you put your article then this article would be index immediately by Google and others Search Engines as well
and any Next place the SE would concern them as " A Copy" of the x-site … even if those content have stolen by others …

So, First post First Index

Otherwise you change them … !!!

I hope that I helped You

For Your Success

thanks. your information has been helpful.

Even if you get a message that somebody copying your website content it’s pretty hard to show that the content is yours…You could contact the owner of the website, but after that?

You don’t have to provide conclusive proof that you own the copyright - at least not at this stage. You issue a notice which states that you are the copyright owner (or are authorised to act on the copyright holder’s behalf). The infringer then has the right to claim otherwise. If it can’t be resolved, it is ultimately up to the courts to decide, but it is very rare that it would come to that.

…You could contact the owner of the website, but after that?

After that, you contact the abuse administrator at the infringing site’s hosting company. After that, you issue a DMCA notice (if the infringer is in the US). You can also issue a notice to the search engine to have the site removed from their indexes. The article I referenced in my earlier post sets out all the details for those options.

Mike

Great response Mike, now i know what to do when i see someone copying my text :smiley:

I still wonder what will happen if i really get in a position when i need to contact the hosting company and the DMCA, why would they believe the text is really mine if the “text stealer” also claims the text is his? Log files on the server won’t do the trick…if you ask me.

Daniell, the situation you describe would only come about if the infringer issues a counter-notice. Essentially, this says that the original notice (the one that you issue) is wrong. In those cases, you are right that there would need to be some way of resolving the matter.

But those cases are very rare. If you are satisfied that you own the copyright, then it is highly unlikely that the infringer would claim otherwise. In the vast majority of cases, one of two things happen:

• The hosting company, etc. accepts your claim (because there is no counter notice) and removes the content.

• The hosting company ignores your claim (because they are inefficient, lazy, indifferent, etc) and nothing happens.

In the second case, you then have the possibility to pursue it further (to the extent of taking legal action in the courts if you think it worth the effort).

In my experience, about half the time you will succeed straight away in getting the content removed. In the other cases, you won’t get it removed, but there is a good chance of getting the search engines to remove the offending pages from their indexes, which, if nothing else, discourages the perpetrator from doing it again.

Mike