Thats it - I quit

Just don’t push it too hard, Spike, it’s not about winning, it’s about participating, having in mind your age and all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Off Topic:

:blush: haven’t slept much recently due to writing my dissertation. luckily, I’ve got a few friends and student support who’ll read through that stuff.

Don’t start smoking to ease the pain :smiley:

[FONT=“Georgia”]hahaha

Yeah I guess when you get up there in the ages, even walking to the front door can be a marathon in itself !

hahaha

[/FONT]

[FONT=“Georgia”]Just kidding, Mike.

Good luck in the race next week !

[/FONT]

:stuck_out_tongue: You will be surprised how well you can walk from the bed to the refrigerator at that age, not too bad really :D:D:D

No worries there, I might however start drinking coffee

Not good either, that gives you jitters. Really a little nap of 20 minutes or so is a much better idea. When I am under a lot of pressure with 18 hour workdays, I take out this little time and just lay down on bed and sleep about 15 minutes. It is the greatest thing to get you through. Try it.

You might think that you lose the time, but it is not so. Concentration returns and you can go full steam ahead :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip Datura, will try it!

rock on man I smoked for 16 years and gave up a year ago…when the cravings got real bad I took some pain killers to relax me…not the healthiest thing to do but it worked and smoking was killing me anyway. Now I am the healthiest I have ever been (no I am not addicted to pain killers lol). BTW I have an application on my phone (JasJam) that is called My last Ciggarette, it helped a great deal it shows you your health changes over time and keeps track of the money saved, so far I have saved $4.5k since giving up, added 35 days to my life expecatacny and there have been over 300 million people die of smoking related illness world wide since I gave up, and I have missed out on smoking nealry 8 thousand smokes. Now the smell of cigarrettes makes me feel ill…the pain will end brother just keep fighting!..

Actually guys, a race isn’t a bad idea - except I cant run…
(why run when you can drive?!)

However it’s not all bad, I am looking at going back into competitive fencing in the next few months and quitting smoking is the first step to getting fit and healthy.

The North West championships are coming up in April and I want to compete rather than just turn up. I have won it 6 times so far and want it back sometime :slight_smile:

Beasty, thanks for you support mate :tup:
I was a personal trainer and gym rat for many years and although totally hypocritical I can see not only the damage smoking does but the effects when people give up.

Heres to day 8 nearly done and day 9 round the corner :slight_smile:
£44.48 saved :smiley:

Fantastic news from you Mike :tup:

quick update - Day 12 and still off them :slight_smile:

Feeling ok, not murdered anybody yet and pocketed over £70 so far

Funny, I was just thinking about you half an hour ago, wondering how you were doing. :slight_smile:

Great news, though. Is it getting any easier, or do you still have to fight the urge all the time?

Thanks Tommy :slight_smile:

It is getting easier and the urges and cravings are subsiding alot. They do still sneak up and slap you occasionally - like after a hearty meal or sat in traffic - but you just have to stay positive and focused.

It takes some getting used to but I do think a large percentage of the fight is purely phsycological and once that hurdle has been overcome, it gets easier.

So come on you lot, if I can do it after 20 years - so can you!

Congratulations! If you keep on going like this, I think I might pay you a trip to Spain and see if you can educate my family on how to do it. They are a pain, literally.

You’re right Spike! I should follow the leader here :smiley: I keep meaning to ditch it once and for all, but you know how excuses are easily made! How did you build yourself up to it? Last time I quit I began by hating smoking, hating hating hating. And it worked, but it was alot of work hating :smiley: So when I gave up hating it I began smoking again :frowning:

It is only a mind set really. Think that you want to quit and then do.

here in canada we have legislation that requires pictures of diseased lungs to be shown on cigarette packages

if you don’t have the same, then go find some pictures, and take a close look

then take a deep breath, and ask yourself, “isn’t breathing nice?”

it’s something i want to do for a lot longer

Not necessarily if you’re living in one of these cities: http://www.blacksmithinstitute.org/ten.php (and probably a few others), though I enjoy a deep breath when I’m out somewhere in a forest.

@Mike: Congratulations! :tup: