What's the one productivity tool that's made a difference for you?

Every week tools are released that try to make some aspect of working online easier. I don’t think anyone expects that every developer is going to use 25 different productivity tools in their daily workflow.

But once in a while, we’ll find the odd gem or two that makes some aspect of our workflow easier. I’m not talking only about development or coding tools, but productivity tools that may or may not be directly related to coding.

Here are some unique ones that I’ve come across that you might find interesting:

Hang0ut - Fast, one-click access to Google Hangouts.
Tab Snooze - A Chrome extension to help you deal with too many open tabs. It “snoozes” certain tabs and then notifies you when they “wake”.
Markticle - A Chrome extension or Android app that lets you mark your place in an article so you can continue reading where you left off.
copy-code - Firefox add-on that allows you to copy code blocks on GitHub and other sites without selecting the code. The copy option is automatically put into a right-click menu.
Spectacle - A Mac app that lets you resize and move windows without touching the mouse.
jellyreader - An RSS reader that stores articles on Dropbox or Google Drive, so you can self host all the content to read at your leisure.

Again, I don’t expect anyone to use all of these, but maybe one of them will be that tool that makes a difference for your workflow.

Is there a single, unique, not-so-popular tool that has made a difference for you in how you go about your reading, research, or development?

This editorial appears in this week’s issue of the SitePoint newsletter

1 Like

Coffee… :coffee:

2 Likes

I use very few tools, but one that I love and can’t let go is a browser add-on that lets you use Markdown in your emails. You add any Markdown you like to your email, like code snippets, code blocks, quotes etc. and then click the toolbar icon when you’re done—and like magic, you have a beautiful HTML email.

It’s called Markdown Here.

What happened to Laravel? It was on my list… just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I got it installed ~6 months ago, but got sidetracked with AngularJS. :worried:

Using an IDE, specifically NetBeans.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.