Which Social media sites are useful for SEO ranking of my website?

I am using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest & Plurk to improve my site ranking & traffic in Google.

Please share if you know more such high PR social media sites.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Most social media links are nofollow, so while you may gain traffic if you post something of genuine interest, you will not gain backlinks.

[quote=“deepakrajput86, post:1, topic:200684”]
Please share if you know more such high PR social media sites.
[/quote]As said, most links are nofollow, so the PR is irrelevant.

Also, PageRank is calculated per page, not per site, so even if the home page is high PR, the pages where you post are unlikely to be so. And Google places little value on links which you place yourself (those it describes as not “editorially placed vouched for”), so even if they are not nofollow, you will gain little or no benefit from them.

Any links intended to manipulate PageRank or a site’s ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme and a violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. This includes any behavior that manipulates links to your site or outgoing links from your site.

1 Like

You will not able to rank your site through social media websites. Try to post useful and interesting content so that it can give you reference traffic. keep in mind, if you have interesting stuff to post, people will come to read that.

Don’t forget Google+. You can also do guest postings if you want to rank.

Links from all these and many other social networking websites are nofollow so yes it is true that these links will not going to help you with search engine ranking.
But if your intention is getting traffic, then here are a few more:
G+, Instagram, YouTube, Xing, Disqus, Tumblr, SnapChat, Twoo

Links from social networking websites will never improve your website’s search engine ranking. Period.

You can not improve your website ranking but if you take the advantage of social media site for your website it will give you more traffic and due to more traffic your website ranking might be increased by the Google.

I keep seeing people post this, but nobody seems to be able to answer the question: how does Google know how much traffic your site is getting? They have stated quite clearly that they do not use Analytics data for ranking, so where are you suggesting this information is coming from?

Without an authoritative source to back that up, it’s just another SEO myth.

I will recommend Facebook, Google plus, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, Instagram

Why? In what way do you think these sites affect the SEO ranking of a website?

To all posters: a list of sites with no other information is of no use to anybody. Please explain why you are suggesting a particular site, and how you believe it helps SEO.

I am glad I popped into this forum. Now I know that social media will not create backlinks, but it can increase traffic. A lot of forums have people posting that great content is most important, and it will bring in the traffic. However, if you have a horrible ranking then how will people know the great content is there?

The idea is that high quality, unique content can help increase your ranking. Good content is also more likely to generate legitimate back-links which do pass Page Rank, as opposed to social or forum links, which do not.
So social can generate traffic, but will not affect ranking. But the quality of your content can affect your ranking and bring traffic.

IMHO the primary goal of a website is to get conversions
The conversion goal might be buying a product or service, clicking an affiliate link, subscribing to a newsletter or RSS feed, posting content to the site, or simply reading the site content,
To get conversions, the site needs traffic

To get traffic there needs to be awareness of the site.

Here’s where opinion and methods vary widely.

I believe that without engaging content, all the traffic in the world won’t get sustainable conversion rates.
Some sites might have pay-per-view advertisements and care little about anything more than getting views.
The strategy is to get as many links to the site out there in the wild and have the site come up in the SERPs
i.e. clicks = traffic = views = revenue

In most cases such sites are not what people are looking for and Google has progressively taken steps to reduce or remove their visibility in SERPs

Thus the endless circle of “sites change strategy to fool Google ↔ Google changes algorithm to improve results for users”

At the other end of the spectrum are sites that have no interest in getting any income at all from the site, and are interested only in providing good content.

I believe that in most cases other than ensuring that the site has good semantic mark-up and is mobile friendly, and that Google has become aware of the site and has crawled and indexed it, no further SEO is needed for these sites.

The SEO takes care of itself as far as for the site coming up in the SERPs and awareness will over time be spread by “word of mouth”.

Of course, awareness can still be improved by making the site known via social media sites.
And as long as it is a “target” audience, traffic and conversions will likely be sustainable.

And of course, there are many “shades” between the two extremes.

2 Likes

So, it sounds to me like you are saying to use the social media to drive traffic. Make sure the site is well written and the traffic will take care of back linking and spreading the word.

That was certainly a comprehensive post! I have been getting a little frustrated that google still hasn’t recognized my site. It has only been 3 weeks and it is far from finished, but it would be nice to have a little progress shown in increased traffic.

It is widely regarded that “Content is King” with regard to SEO.
No matter how much traffic you manage to refer to a site from whatever source, if the content is poor, they will bounce and you won’t get the conversion:-

The only worthwhile back links, as far as Google is concerned are ones you earn, from other people thinking your site is good and wanting to link to it.
Ones you create yourself, directly or indirectly are worthless to Google.

If your content is poor, no one engages with it, no one wants to link to it.

Be patient.
Have you submitted to Google WMT?

Yes, the “over time” bit can be very frustrating. Google isn’t as impatient as we tend to be.

Social media could work for you.

In my case, my Facebook Friends include former coworkers (hospital laboratory), fellow naturalists, family members, and fellow “computer geeks”
My site (which is long overdue for an overhaul) is about hiking, wildflowers and coding.

So though some of my Friends might visit out of curiosity, I wouldn’t expect that former coworkers or family would be that interested in the site. On the other hand, the fellow naturalists and computer geeks might be.

If my site was about selling high-rise apartment buildings located in Pune, I wouldn’t expect much to come of it no matter how many times I posted a link to the site.

Did I read somewhere that Tumblr uses Do-Follow Links? This would directly help SEO as opposed to no follow links, although a combination would greatly help. Although I find it baffling personally businesses who are not listed on Google Plus!

I’ll give you that one. Though I only believe it having read it in Tumblr’s source code, not that I’m a sceptic :smile:

Though they may fall into this category:-

The following are examples of link schemes which can negatively impact a site’s ranking in search results:
…
…
Additionally, creating links that weren’t editorially placed or vouched
for by the site’s owner on a page, otherwise known as unnatural links,
can be considered a violation of our guidelines.