Why are so many sites using gray text?

Indeed we did. It was for a bank website and the test groups consisted of actual banking customers of all ages, backgrounds and abilities… Thanks for bringing that up :smiley: Oh and the point was in answer to MrMr who was interested whether anyone actually conducts usability testing when they design sites with softened contrast.

Can’t agree with you there… Data is data. If one were to conduct a study, this could be part of the data. Furthermore:

Point 1 is unlikely due to the “fact” that yes we are web professionals and are more likely to experience eye strain from over use of screen text. I don’t know about you but I spend 8 - 10 hours in front of the monitor on average every day.

Point 2… I don’t see your point.

Point 3 & 4 …More of the same unsubstantiated

Great point… I set my base copy leading to 160% and adjust from there… Often for an H1 block of “Welcome” text, I’ll crank it up to 180% for better readability.

[COLOR=“silver”]I Lawlz’d at that one. Srsly.
I never used to be bothered by high contrast. Nowadays I do and that’s prolly cause I stare too much at the screen.

BTW I’m feeling so trendy right now, I could almost buy an Apple product.[/COLOR]

sorry I’ll have to rephrase it.

Most designers who commented this thread, agreed that the design of dark grey on white is nicer then black on white. (fact …)

count it yourself :wink:

Actually the majority of responders cite a better visual experience for the visitor.

Post the url. I’d like to see it, just out of curiosity.

MrMr, I think maybe you are talking about light gray, and others are talking about a darker shade?

Excuse me if I missed it if it has already been mentioned.

This is not for some cool or trendy look it’s for visibility hence usability.

Uh, for many many webmasters, yeah, it is. Along with other light colors. Otherwise they would just simply use black on white.

I went back and read the posts again and I think you’ll have to rephrase one more time…

Most of the responses didn’t say anything about what is nicer. They said they used a dark grey to make it read better. There’s a huge difference between nicer and reads better :nono:

Is this really worth ranting about ?

If you don’t like grey text in websites… don’t use grey text in your website! It’s as simple as that.

And if visiting a site hurts your eyes… don’t visit that site. The end.

Yup.

I have to disagree.
It really depends who filled in the survey or did the test.

If you want scientific proof for this type of test. You’ll have to get a certain amount of people, where all categories of persons are presented (in the same %'s of the total population that uses the internet).

point 2 … online surveys are biased because mostly only people who

• really like the site/topic/company
  • really dislike the site/topic/company

will be the ones that do the effort to answer them.
Your average user will most likely not answer the survey.

Forum posts are even more biased. You will only see the posts of the

• forum post whores who just want to post on every thread
  • the people that are really against it
  • the people that are really pro

A lot of people do have their opinion on this subject, but don’t want to make it clear to the public, because they don’t find it important enough to spent time on (or even to register).
Most people that don’t have an opinion on this, or don’t find this subject important, or think both parties are 50% correct, will not respond to this thread.
Because of this, the posts on Sitepoint do not represent the average thoughts of the visitors of Sitepoint. It only represents the part of Sitepoint users that shouts the loudest or does care to express his opinion in public. (take a look at some average forum stats on subscribed members vs active members)

point 3 … You really can’t generalize web developers / webdesigners opinion as a descent reference for the opinion of all the internet users.
If i’d think that way, 50% of my users would have a 1600x1200 screen, 99% of all my users would hate (& never use) Internet Explorer.
(figures are fake, but you’ll get the point)

god damned you’re right.

2nd rephrase
Most members who commented this thread on the design-aspect of grey text, agreed that the design of dark grey on white is nicer then black on white.

point 3 … You really can’t generalize web developers / webdesigners opinion as a descent reference for the opinion of all the internet users.
If i’d think that way, 50% of my users would have a 1600x1200 screen, 99% of all my users would hate (& never use) Internet Explorer.
(figures are fake, but you’ll get the point)

Lawlz. I want users like that : )

You’re right, though the answers here could certainly be useful for measuring web developers : ) the same people using light grey on white, and
-people staring at a screen all day
-browsing the internets (not working on say a banking system with its own set colours)
-who care about text colours : )

No, I wouldn’t call what was posted in this thread scientific at all, but it IS useful. Just not the same as a sit-down-and-test usability study.

-people staring at a screen all day
-browsing the internets (not working on say a banking system with its own set colours)
-who care about text colours : )

we do stare all day :stuck_out_tongue:

why are so many sites using gray text?
because screen staring web developers with sensitive eyes design most sites.

:rofl:

looks attractive,I personally use gray text aswell!

Thank you Stevie. Those are certainly worth reading. (Which I’m off to do.)

I’m squinting right now reading all these arguments with black on white.

lol

That was the best post in this nerdy little thread. :smiley:

WOW. Very good Question. I always assumed Black on White was the OBVIOUS standard. I now see the error of my ways.

Thanks for asking the question.

In photoshop, I always figured the best way to stay on the same color range was to pick the primary color (that is not gray, white or black) and, in photoshop, just change the ‘h’ attribute – which I always figured the degree just meant height – to find all other colors on that range. Could be wrong.

When it comes to gray instead of black on white, besides the contrast, the gray looks smoother than high-contrast black. Cleaner. Though, yes, sometimes it does turn out being harder to read.

Ryan

You could use #f5f5f5 as background(white) and have a #000000 text on it…

It looks fine…

It stands for ‘hue’, from the HSL (hue, saturation, lightness) color scheme. :slight_smile:

It is easy to read on white background.