Beginning Touch Typing - The Proper Way

Apparently I can’t really. 50 wpm with no mistakes and peeking. 73 wpm with 44 mistakes touch typing as fast as I can.

If you wanna learn touch typing in a non-boring way, there’s Burning Cargo. It’s a rich game, but also a full touch typing course. Burning Cargo

70wpm, 1 mistake (missed a capitalization)

I’ve found typer shark to be engaging for typing practice: Typer Shark® - Free Online and Downloadable Games and Free Word Games from Shockwave.com

i think chatting online is the best way to improve typing skills. that’s how i learned.

play text twist sometime if you want to practice typing while having fun. even more fun if you have friends around to help!

Play Text Twist, download, and read user reviews on Yahoo! Games

Had to ask a friend to get this link as I’d forgotten the name it’s a space shooter game based on typing. Fun when alternating waves with a friend - it can get pretty competitive.

Z-Type

32wpm for me when reading and typing. I always assumed I was a little slow because I still look at the keyboard when I type. It’s a bad habit that I really don’t care too much to fix. I’m A-OK with typing slow. I’m a little faster when typing off my head. My proof-reading takes even longer. I read verrrry slow as well and my hand-writing takes forever. Ah-well. Can’t be good at everything! Haha.

64 wpm and 9 mistakes. Rubbish! :stuck_out_tongue:

Today I’ve got 55 wpm with 0 mistakes and very little peeking. That must be my best typing shape.

It is actually quite amazing how slow I am compared to many others in this thread. And I definitely don’t spend least time typing every day.

71wpm 0 errors today, on the second attempt. The first was 62wpm 3 errors, and was full of the weirdest words I have ever laid my eyes upon.

I think I’m gonna try this daily. See how my speed changes throughout the week, and how it changes over time.

It happened for me after my teenage years … all that talking over AIM just makes you fly

If you’re just learning to touch type and you start looking at the keys it’s hard to re-train yourself and break the habbit. I’m doomed to under 50 WPM until I need to go faster…

I use just 2 to 3 fingers at the most and I am comfortable with the speed. Have not measured it though :slight_smile:

Well, I got 69 words per minute on that test, with 2 mistakes. But that’s lying on my bed, and copying text, so I reckon my normal typing rate is a bit faster.

I basically taught myself by looking up which fingers should go on which keys and just sitting there making sure that’s how I did it. It took a couple of weeks, but it must have saved me vast numbers of hours over the years.

There’s no reason not to learn. It really isn’t hard.

I’ve converted my keyboard at home to the Dvorak layout now, and am going to give it a go! Typing on it is frustratingly slow at the moment… but hopefully will improve before too long!

I use 2 fingers but I can type without looking at the keyboard. I once learned to use all 10 finger’s, but I seam to be able to type quick enough with 2. I more or less type at the rate of thought, which suites me fine. When I used all 10 fingers I use to get joint problems, where at two is safer in my opinion.

^ Word.

http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Fastest-hands-free-typing/blog/3289582/7691.html

Personally, I didn’t know that I can touch type until I applied for a job. They recognized that I can type fast, around 70+ words per minute.

Anyway, I do not really follow any rules or the correct positions, it just so happen that I work and live in front of a keyboard helping me memorize the locations without looking. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I can type any faster in Spanish. Maybe using a Spanish keyboard makes me do more mistakes than I should :slight_smile: At least, that would be nice excuse :lol:

But it is true that certain keys that are easy in an English keyboard are much harderin a Spanish one.

57 wpm, two mistakes.

I type with three fingers. Index finger and middle finger on my left hand, and just my middle finger on my right hand. I used to use the index finger on my right hand to but I broke that finger one time so I didn’t use it to type in that period. I never started using it again when it healed for some reason. Maybe I’ll make a point to learn using it again soon.
If you’re wondering, I type like I have my fingers crossed, index finger over my middle finger.
Weird, I know.

I recently learned that qwerty -and probably other layouts as well- are not the best layouts of keyboards, but are designed the way they are to prevent the hammers of typing machines from getting stuck together way back when. Somehow when we switched from type machines to keyboards the layout wasn’t changed. Probably because too many people already the ones they had on their typing machines.
It would be interesting to see what the optimal layout would look like and if people could really type faster on that once they learned how to :slight_smile:

Yeah, I see what you mean.

I always have the same experience with hard Romanian keyboard and keys. The users don’t seem to succeed breaking them so easily as the keys in an English keyboard.

Probably because those making English keyboards expect people writing in English be more soft. I’ve seen English keyboards made out of silicon. Or probably because native English hands are softer. Maybe they lack a certain strength. They probably make softer keyboards so that English native hands won’t hurt them self typing.

Hence, I always type extra careful on my English keyboard, but let my self loose on harder Romanian keyboards, w/o worrying they’ll break easily. For those wandering, Romanian keyboards are made out of oak wood or iron. I don’t know about Spanish keyboards, maybe molona can help us with that.