February Shout Out: Sayings that drive you mad!

I just thought of a few … “for free” (why not “free”)
helping someone to “back” a car, “back back” how can you back forward !!!

The 2 that always sound wrong to me are:
“The proof is in the pudding” and “Cut off your nose to spite your face”
The first one should be “The proof of the pudding is in the tasting” or in other words, You can say it is good, but until it is tasted, nobody knows
And the second one always seemed backwards to me… it is supposed to indicate doing something way overboard for the intended response… so would it not make more impact to “cut off your face to spite nose”? or alter the larger to affect the lesser

Continental United States

As in “Free Shipping in the Continental United States.”

Arrrrg! I HATE this stupid phrase! Why? Because it is NEVER used to say what it means. That would be every US state except Hawaii, and not including overseas territories. I live in Alaska. A US state for 50 years now. What continent? Class? Yes, North America. So I’m in the Continental United States and get the free shipping, right? Wrong. ARRG!

:mad:

Another one: “chillax”. How I loathe it.

As someone said earlier… There are so many from which to choose.

However, my least favorite is, and has been, and will continue to be…

My bad

[FONT=“Georgia”]“give Jack his jacket”

I HATE that phrase!

Along with “IMHO” and another Trini one, “Dey need tuh put tings in place.”

[/FONT]

That’s pretty odd.

In the UK there are loads of stupid/odd things like that. “sure as eggs is eggs”, “it’s the dog’s bllcks”, “spend a penny”, etc. Most of them I don’t mind and some I like using, but “spend a penny” is one that annoys me, not sure why.

“Irregardless” causes me to wince, as do other double negatives.

I was interested in the example ‘and heard on BBC today’ as I’ve only ever heard it on news reports when reporters are acknowledging a source other than their own network. I didn’t realise it was used as a conversational saying.

My own principal dislikes also come from journalism, however. First, the example of the Watergate scandal has led many UK newspapers to stick “-gate” on the end of even the most minor incidents. This is really shoddy and unimaginative journalism by people who set themselves up to criticise others and show themselves unworthy of the role.

The second example is “the wrong kind of”. This one stemmed from UK commuter trains struggling in icy conditions one winter. The trains had de-icer equipment but on this occasion it wasn’t up to the job. Now I understand that the Inuits have more than 100 words for snow in all its varieties, but when the railway spokesman said “We got the wrong kind of snow”, the media loved it. Since then they’ve been delighted to suggest the “wrong kind of leaves” in the autumn fall causing train delays, and even “the wrong kind of sun” when our hottest ever heatwave a few years ago buckled straight track into sinuous curves. Have newspaper reporters got no creative thinking of their own?

It’s pathetic!

I’ll be back - make me very nervous :mad:

this could go on forever, !! some more.
watching the 6 Nations Rugby : " the physcality of the team…" " on the front foot" or" on the back foot"

Of course the double negativies : “I could’nt hardly breathe”
" I did’nt see nothing"
" there is not a day when I don’t think of him"::blush:

I love you !
I love you more !
No, I love you more !
Stop it !
I can’t stop loving you !
I’m taking back my love !
You can more !
I hate you !
I love to hate you !

“there is not a day when I don’t think of him”

What’s wrong with that? It’s not a double negative.

I hate the Americanism: “I could care less”.

No. You’re tying to imply you don’t care, so the phrase is: “I couldn’t care less.”

If you are able to care less - as in, “I could care less”, or “I have the ability to care less” - then that means you have some level of care for the subject. But you are trying to convey that you don’t care at all about the subject.

“I couldn’t care less” implies it is impossible to care any less about the subject, meaning you don’t care for it at all.

It’s a lazy American thing (as far as I know), and I think it’s stupid.

Also, as previously mentioned, “chillax”. Said when you trying to get someone to “chill” and “relax”, yet you yourself are apparently in such a hurry you can’t waste the time or the breath to say both words. Stupid.

“I miss not seeing her” !!
“there was’nt hardly anyone there” !!
“I don’t want nothing” !!!

you’re missing the point, chris… perhaps you are new to the concept of sarcasm?

“i could care less” is a perfectly reasonable sarcastic expression

Oh.

I get sarcasm, but I’ve never heard or experienced this used phrase in a sarcastic way.

Maybe it’s just me then.

no, it’s not just you :slight_smile:

now for one of my own favourites… “going from left to right on your radio”

(this is occasionally heard during radio broadcasts of sporting events)

i mean, seriously? “… on your radio???”

this has to be one of the stupidest remarks ever

however, i just love hearing it, because it drives me mad with laughter

“What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger” - I have one word for anyone dumb enough to say that… stroke.
“It could be worse” - Perspective is irrelevant when people are suffering, it’s probably the most inappropriate statement at the worst possible timing given ever.
“You wanna know what I think?” - No! But you’re going to tell me anyway!
“Guess what?” - I’m not psychic, just tell me already!

… probably a few more there, but those come immediately to mind. :slight_smile:

I didn’t actually know that was incorrect! :blush:

Maybe because in the UK, if you have a penny, you won’t be able to spend it on much. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Yea, we gonna let it all hang out!”

The visions for that one. Priceless :smiley: