Freelancing online... impossible to make money?

It is not impossible to make money with online freelancer sites.You should try some more freelance sites like Guru.com,Freelancer and Elance.com.All the sites are better option to get some new projects with bidding.

I agree. I have tried a lot but failed to find reasonably priced jobs. I write as well and people expect 1 article for $1. I won’t write a headline for that. These kind of people are pulling down the quality.

And I have no idea how people who bid there make any reasonable money. There quality is so bad.

In the end, it is GIGO working here, Garbage In, Garbage Out.

The problem is that 90% of jobs on these sites are like this. Looking for high quality at very low prices. Every site has this problem.

Its very touch to fetch freelancer work now a days… when we go for fixed budget, most of the time client dnt pay.

Freelancing is the best way if you want to grow into an entrepreneur . Freelancing is the starting point of entrepreneurship if someone wants to start from the scratch.

I really have to agree with this. Freelancing is the ONLY way to successfully start up a successful company fro scratched. The those BIG businesses started from somewhere.

The only advice I give you all it take your business seriously, charge your clients for everything, but don’t charge as much as other, especially when starting out, but be confident. There is nothing wrong with freelancing. After a while crawl your prices up as you get more work. On-line communities are a good way to get a portfolio, but once you have your clients you probably would not be looking too much with bid-for-work websites, as you’d be too busy with your own clients.

I also agree with this Freelancing is first step to be an entrepreneur. But if you are fresher then you have to face many difficulties and should also have to charge very less.As people youed to not prefer to assign work to freshers…

I think when you are efficient work and can represent yourself with good image also if you have patience you must will get work and can earn money.It is 100% possible.

hi…i agree with this freelancing,i know a friend with a small business who did a freelancing and it works well,because it’s became her stepping stone to have a bigger business…

hi ,

YES  freelancing online money is possible if you have programing knowledge.
 My friend is doing the projects in freelancing site and he earned good hand some money.

<snip>

It depends on the cost of living within that country… that $500 is fair enough to other countries…

<snip>

As a freelancer i agree with TomB. Some i also confuse how people do the job with a very very low amount. However i work on odesk and always try do hourly job. I also suggest you to do freelancing odesk. It is 100% guaranteed payment.

Best Wishes
Asma Rahman
<snip>

I’ve landed jobs on one of those sites in the past, the key is tell the buyer what you can do for them, be thorough, talk professionally and clear, and if you don’t think what they’re asking is reasonable, tell them, same with the price. Because if you’re up against other guys who don’t have a very good grasp of english, or don’t bother to give many details, it’s possible the buyer will side step them and look towards you. As they may want confidence/quality over cheap labor.

Exactly. Having been on both sites I can tell you for a fact that most of those cheap bids are, to put it bluntly, SPAM. Do you think you can do a better job than a spammer and get paid more than one?

It is a global economy, I have a friend that lives in Nicaragua, he worked for me in Miami for over $3000 a month, now that he is back home an average monthly wage for living comfortably is $400 a month. One Job for $500, he can take a week or two, do a great job and still live well. Back in Miami, That same $500 can go in a weekend!
Also, renaming it would help the word FREElance kinda paints a picture in the minds of those looking to have work done.

To my mind freelancing is the best way to get steady income.

Why so? Without some reasoning, such a comment doesn’t add to the discussion. :slight_smile:

All the same, welcome. :slight_smile:

I truly agree with you that the freelancing the start for the company to grow and get some good clients online. But there are very few chances that you can convert the client for the long term as now a days most of the clients are looking for freelancers for short term work only.

@rajeshkanjani;

And this is where you have to change your business model. Short term work for me does not exist, why you ask?

Well, I do not work on 3rd party hosts, I do not sell websites without support and I charge maintaince every year. I send them reviews of their site on a yearly basis and stats every month detailing their traffic, all this is covered in the support package. You cannot run a suceesful freelancing business without keeping your customers.

Yes, freelancing works to grow your business but if you deal with the clients for long term basis. Doing 2-5 hours of work per week for client does not afford at all. So, I love to deal with the consultants that can give me good and regular work.

I’m a Freelance developer - and yes it is very hard indeed to get started initially. You can use sites like elance to find prospective clients, the good ones will understand the need to pay you properly and fully appreciate the time and quality you put into your work. Of course those true professionals amongst us couldn’t possible afford to work at the prices people bid on those sites, so why not just see it as a way to introduce yourself to new clients and state that future work has to be done at a ‘standard’ rate?

At times you may feel like you are banging your head against the wall, however, over time you clients will appreciate your high quality work, and as their business grows as a result of the time and effort you put in so to will your relationship with them. Freelancing isnt for everyone, you need time, energy and the will to carry on - but who knows it could work out for you :wink: