I'm about to get fired

Hey guys!

This is my first post here, and I’m sorry it is about this subject.

My name is André, and I am a Interaction Designer here in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Basically, I never got fired before and I think this is about to happen with me on the next days. I think I am just scared with what will happen next with my life, because now Im currently living paying rent with my girlfriend in a cute apartment here.

Im afraid of not be able to maintain my life and what I`ve already accomplished with my girlfriend all because of me.

My boss doesn’t like me very much sometimes he is even rude with me in front of others but on the other side is he really really smart and I always listen to him because of that.

I really don’t know how good I am because it the only place I’ve worked and I just looking for some words for more experience designer to help me out.

Thanks guys.

If you’re really about to get fired there’s not much we could do to stop that. Any words of wisdom or skills that could be imparted quickly are unlikely to help. If you aren’t, your feeling negative/upset about the possibility won’t help things!

If you genuinely think this, you should begin working on your resume or portfolio. You should consider your best skills, and consider if you have any you could improve quickly. Maybe do a little bit of job searching without being too public about it (don’t lose your current job due to your job search!).

I’m sure people will have many other suggestions. Don’t be disheartened; things happen. It’s natural to worry but don’t let it stop you from being professional or from making a plan to move forward.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks dude.
Really liking this forum!

Im trying to see things more positively and I already working on my portfolio and looking for job opportunities (Only in my house).

But what I really want to hear is from someone that lived something similar to what I am living.

Like 90% of the people? Sometimes, you do have to stop doing things because your earnings drop big time but you get up, you look for another job, keep on improving and move on.

1 Like

Not sure how unemployment is handled in Brazil. It’s not fantastic in the U.S. But it can help at least put food on the table until such point as you get your next job.

If your boss truly does not like you, then hopefully there is a manager who does, or someone in HR who does, that would be willing to give you a good reference for your resume/CV.

And in your upcoming job interviews, it’s important to be POSITIVE. “I’m great at that.” “I can do that.” “Yes, I’m very familiar with that.” Yes, yes, yes.

And, if possible, bring a portfolio of your work.

You’ll survive this. This will soon be yesterday, and you’ll have tomorrow to look forward to.

Best of luck!

V/r,

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

So if you don’t mind, why do you feel you are going to be fired? Because your boss has been rude to you? Are there any other reasons?

The reason I ask, is at the prior job I worked, I had a fellow co-worker who I later found out, felt I was rude/disliked him. In all reality, I didn’t. In fact, I moved to a new job at a different city and got a phone call out of the blue from this person asking if I would be willing to give them a recommendation.

Long story short, they were surprised to find out I’d do one better and get them an interview with the company I currently worked for (if they were willing to move). At that point they told me they thought all this time that I disliked them and were hesitant of even asking for a recommendation from me.

Looking back at it all, I wouldn’t ever claim I was rude, but I held the person to a high standard. In short, I threw a lot of different type of projects at this person and would make them figure things out for themselves, or at least see if they would come back to me asking for advice/help. This was all intentional and for two main reasons, 1) I needed someone on my team who could work individually, and do good work, and 2) I needed someone who knew their current limitations and would stop by for assistance.

The particular co-worker I’m referring to had both of these qualities, which is why I went the extra mile to get them an interview (and they currently work at the same company I’m with now too). I wasn’t distant with them to make them feel unwanted, but to prove my initial thoughts of the person were accurate. They were indeed a capable person who would accomplish whatever task I set before them (regardless if they currently had the knowledge to do so – they would go learn the knowledge they needed to complete the task).

I have a feeling you may be in that position right now. Your boss may be testing your ability to see where exactly your strengths and weaknesses are (maybe not, maybe he’s just is being rude). But unless you have anything concrete, I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion of “I’m getting fired soon”

2 Likes

It’s true that some people are ‘naturally’ rude and that he’s NOT just rude to ‘you’ specifically. Think a TV sereies ‘House’ where it stars arrangant and rude doctor. No doubt, he’s a very intelligent man but he make the point by ridiculing other’s opinion… Yes, I worked w/ a person like that for 18 months… I just couldn’t take it anymore…though I have learned a ton w/ him.

No matter which company you work for, don’t look for ‘job stability’ (unless it’s the gov’t). Don’t think you’re just an employee working for the big boss. Think of yourself as a business where you’re selling your service to your boss. So, think in terms of improving your business by expanding your skills, marketing your services, and etc… Your job stability comes from your business and not your company. If I was in your situation, I would be studying popular skills, networking w/ people you know, and etc… Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for this advices.
Really loving this new community.

Im already trying to improve my skills and my “business” with some online courses. (Currently taking prototype interactions classes. https://iversity.org/en/courses/prototyping-interaction)

And yes, my boss have a similar personality like House, and that’s why I listen and learned some much from him.

But at the same time, I dont want to (Never) be like him because it is not a leader who inspire you, people follow him by fear not by admiration.

And I think I am not fired yet because he has no one to replace me, but he is looking.

1 Like

Really loving this new community.

We try really hard to be likable, and draw in people, and then suck out their souls. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thats the mentor jobs. They are all gingers.

2 Likes

And both of them are kidding (seriously, we’re nice people :slight_smile: )

1 Like

hahahahahaha…

Shang Tsung Style!

Thank you guys.

just by talking with you guys made my day much better!

3 Likes

One can say anything they wish as long as they say “Just kidding” afterwards? :smiley: :smiley:

After I got a new job I celebrated :slight_smile: I’m sure this will happen to you. Actually, I’m back to previous company but on a complete different project.

1 Like

Of course! How do you think I got to be a Team Leader? :smile:

4 Likes

Federal contractors aren’t immune from being let go, especially during a ‘furlough’. Been there, done that. I fought to get back on board, though, and here I am (again). :smile:

V/r,

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Federal contractors != Government

You should know by your paycheck…c’mon now…

Dunno - my access card says I’m DoD.

And we ARE government. We are funded by the government. We work in the government buildings.

Just because they aren’t our direct employers doesn’t mean we aren’t government.

Yeah, if you were a government employee, it would be signed from “Taxpayers” and I’d be your boss… sort of… maybe, okay, not really.

1 Like