A Question For All - How do you feel about Guns?

Yep, that too :smiley:

Some other guy thought the same thing :slight_smile:

Please. Men are more powerful.

Human beings are not responsible enough to have guns…

You can kill with a car, but the idea is to drive it.
You can kill with a knife, but the idea is to cut bread with it.
You can kill with a gun, and the idea is to kill with it.

A gun is nothing but a tool just like anything else, its the person behind it that may or may not be the problem.

A gun is also a sporting ‘tool’, it is enjoyed by millions that love anything from target shooting to hunting and only one of those involves killing. Why do we have Olympic shooting teams etc?

I own archery equipment too … can you apply the same logic to that?

Yes, that is the intended purpose of this tool, or at least inflict enough harm to incapacitate the attacker. A weapon to defend yourself against harm, harm that might come to you otherwise.

We are not all equally nice and rational. Why would I let somebody harm me and not do all I can to stop this thug?

Pleading would not do then, now would it?

It’s too bad that irresponsible people sometimes abuse the right to have bear arms, however, I still believe that anyone that is not a criminal, should have the choice to own one or not. The owner should also be responsible with how the gun and ammo is stored.

If someone broke into my house and had a gun, I would blow their *** away before i waited for any cops to arrive. The invader at that point accepts all responsibility and should understand that they could die themselves if they endanger my family by breaking in.

Also, with bad economic times, crime goes up because of desperation. In a worst case scenario, if we were ever invaded by another country, you better believe I would own a gun. Law or not!

Actually let me correct you here (don’t beat me up now)

A gun is a tool that we HOPE we never have to use. It is like a fire extinguisher … we own it in case of fire and hope we never have a fire. It’s like having car insurance … while we always hope we never have an accident.

People all over the world buy tools, insurance and products they hope they never have to use but if the time comes that they have to they are glad they did buy them … that my friends is how I look at a gun. (BTW, this does not include sport shooting… I am talking about using it on another person)

You are right :slight_smile: A gun is an insurance policy so to speak. But there should be no hesitation to use it as a defense, and only as a defense.

Like I stated before: No man shall initiate force against another. Guns should only be used against a human in a retaliatory way. This is one of the most important principles to understand. Sport, hunting and such are different matters altogether really.

It is amazing to me how so many people will try to control crime by taking away the rights of the potential victims. A thug will always find a way to hurt somebody. The weapon of choice can be any object really: knife, club, stick, rope, fire, frozen lamb-shank, statue, brick……………

So to me there is no question at all.

So if you were carrying a loaf of bread home from the market, and a bum tried to snatch it from you, you’d want to shoot him in the face? Without hesitation?

bullsh1t

the arsenal you showed on page 1 of this thread is ~WAY~ more than a single fire extinguisher, you have enough arms to start a major battle of significant size

so that was lousy analogy

you are a gun nut, full stop

Maybe he expects a big fire? :stuck_out_tongue: :shifty:

The ‘arsenal’ as you call it is part of my collection. Most are locked away and only taken out to go shooting, some have never been shot. Quite a few of those I consider investments, if you know anything about what happened in 1995 in the US (and more than likely what will happen this coming year) you would know several of those guns will more than likely double, if not triple in value. SO you see there IS more than one reason to own some guns :smiley:

And BTW, in that comment you quoted? I was talking about carrying a handgun.

good point about the investments

in case it matters (and i know that the topic is supposed to be about guns, not law) as a non-american, i admire your 2nd amendment

what bothers me is that people who like guns seem to feel the need to justify it with all sorts of reasons like self protection, civil rights, guns don’t kill people, et cetera

what’s wrong with just liking guns?

no i am not asking to be informed about what might be wrong – it was a “theoretical” question :wink:

:slight_smile:

First off I ‘get’ the rhetorical question

BUT

really there’s nothing wrong with it and I will admit I like guns and love shooting them, as does my wife. Heck when the weather is better we go to the range twice a month just as a ‘stress reliever’ … nothing like 30 rounds out of an AK-47 to puts your stress to bed! :smiley: (they really are fun to shoot)

The reason (IMO) most people tend to make justifications for it is probably because they are constantly being bombarded by those that tell them they shouldn’t be allowed to own them and / or ‘like’ them.

The real ‘justification’ here in this thread and usually the ‘hot topic’ of any argument is carrying weapons. That never fails to get ‘both sides’ hot an bothered. In PA right now the ‘hot and bothered’ topic is Open Carry, meaning you don’t try to conceal your weapon. Some friends of mine run a group to educate people about the laws and the fact it is 100% legal in this state. Normally I refrain from the practice but once in a blue moon I have.

BTW, I just wanted to mention how freaking proud I am of the people in this forum. That a subject like this CAN be discussed in a logical and open minded way … WAY TO GO SITEPOINT!

Not necessarily into the face, but the hand perhaps or the foot. I would first threaten him back of course, trying to avoid a shot. But if the guy insists, and if it turns out to be his face that gets the bullet, I would not be sorry.

It is the unprincipled behavior of the thug, the total disregard of how money is earned to buy this loaf of bread or any other thing that would make me want to shoot him in defense of what is mine. He has by this very act of wanting to steal from me shown that he has no regards for my rights. A thug gets no mercy from me.

In a home invasion I would shoot without question. Nobody has the right to just walk into my place. The intent of the intruder is very clear.

In post #32 I delineated clearly how I think about this :slight_smile:

That’s a given, no if ands or buts … and unfortunately that type of crime is on the rise, even up here in the ‘sleepy’ Poconos. I’m pretty sure that and the entire rise in crime is a product of the struggling economic times, as things get tougher more and more people tend to get desperate.

I think the rise in crime has little to do with bad economic times. The cause I think goes much deeper than that. It is the corrupt way to look at life, the underlying philosophy being that of entitlement, no matter if you work for it or not. If your leaders think that way, why not you? It is a given now that the people who have what others want–only wish to have–are forced to share, and I might add: at the end of the gun (law). This theft is claimed as a virtue and an obligation to your fellow man, no matter how worthy or unworthy that man is.

It is taught to all by almost all. It is no wonder that the thug, who does not bother to think, adapts this in his own little version and goes out and commits crimes. He feels entitled.

Bad economic times might drive some people to steal, but they were barely restrained before. They are the same people who see nothing wrong with stealing cracked software, who steal music, who would not return a lost wallet. Bad times only enforce the basic values or non-values a person has. And yes, in times like these, it is good to have that little insurance of a defense weapon :slight_smile:

Yes, same logic.
You’re right it’s the person behind the tool.
What I’m saying is even if you can break a skull with a hammer, therefore kill somebody, the idea of owning a hammer is to use it with nails at the first place.
If I have a gun under my pillow at night, what would be the first idea of its use? Rabbit hunting? Target shooting? or maybe shooting an intruder coming inside my home at night? You tell me…

I agree. You should have the right to defend yourself. Then, let be all the people resonable enough to just use it for defense. Not to let it on the table in front of a son with his friends, not to let it on the chimney with bullets in, not to let it in teenager’s hands, not to use it when your neighbors make too much noise that evening, etc…etc…etc…

I stand by my verbage: Human beings are not responsible enough for a tools that is made only to hurt at the first place…

Woaw…What about a government agent that “attack” you for a good reason that you do not know yet? Do you kill the dude first and ask what happens later?

[FONT=“Georgia”]Okay.

So you’re generalising that ALL humans are not responsible enough to own a tool to “hurt” ?

[/FONT]